Thursday, November 14, 2013

Week 9 – Blog 2: What categories would I create & how would they help the business grow


 

 

 
A couple of things I read about creating categories are that you need to remember to create a balance between being too broad and too specific. A category should be thought of like a Table of Contents in a book. It should be descriptive, not too many categories and each post should only be assigned one category (if any) with tags should you feel the post might also be related to or good for another category.

My blog is called “Cindy’s World Travels”, and I plan to continue to add notes, photos and other fun stuff from my various world travels. So that my family, friends and co-workers can follow along on my latest trips or check out any previous ones. Thus, I would create a category for each country, e.g. Thailand, Vietnam, Russia, Australia, Switzerland, England, Scotland, US, etc. That way if someone was interested about one of these countries, they could go straight to that particular country.

I would create a category for CSIT155 and subcategories such as “Social Media-Business”, “Sites” in order to keep the class information/homework separate from the other blog items. But if anyone wanted to read them, they could go ahead. I would create a category for my business “Remnants Reworked” to contain information about the company, what we do, and FAQ and any other pertinent information on my company. Eventually I may decide to create a totally separate blog for Remnants Reworked - if my daughter and I get it "off the ground".

Also, I think it would be good to use tags in case something in one category would be relevant to another category. You can think of tags as akin to the Index in a book. For example, under my Remnants Reworked I could have a tag to information that may be “filed” under Thailand or Vietnam categories such as where I purchased material to create items for sale or vice versa.

I could also have a category entitled “Items for Sale” so that if that was all my readers/customers were interested in, they could go to that section immediately and then I would have tags to other sections, depending upon what related to items we created and were selling. 
By creating simple, defined categories, my readers would not have to wade through everything I wrote, and, hopefully, would be able to find what they were looking for much easier and faster.  By using tags, I would then be able to get them to check out another of my blog categories, and thus make them interested in reading others and continue to check out my blog.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment