Sunday, September 8, 2013

Social Media platforms-personal/business



There are numerous types of social media. Some of the forms include websites, internet forums, blogs, wikis, Facebook, YouTube along with the traditional forms of magazines, television and radio. When it comes to electronic formats you have those available via your laptop, computer or notepad and those via your Smart Phone.

For business, Facebook works for ads, and if you "Like" a particular item or company, then that company will create posts to your Facebook page.  I have liked particular authors on Facebook and thus I get advanced notice of new books (so I can pre-order).  My understanding is that some businesses use blogs, but I would think if you did not know about their products, would you have a reason to go looking for that blog.  I don't understand Twitter, but I do understand that some business use that to promote new items or sales and the like.  Stores that you frequent many times will ask you if you care to share your email address, with that they can send emails which may inform the consumer about sales, send coupons, or special deals only available on line (e.g. Michaels, Jo-Anns, Fresh & Easy are some I receive coupons on my Smart Phone).  I am on email lists for various microbreweries both in San Diego and other areas in California.  Thus, I get advanced notice of when new releases of certain beers/ales are being released in bottle or being put on tap at certain brewpubs.  Of course, with emails you need to opt-in or opt-out.  Youtube is also good for advertising new products but a business would need to figure out some way to get the link out to the public.  Qualcomm has used this method for advertising new products such as our Snapdragon chip.  They also used a movie "trailer" at the theaters to get the word out about our Snapdragon chip [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9iUZsVgZ30] - A Dragon Is Coming - Qualcomm Snapdragon 800; and is currently can be  seen on ESPN.  Another is RSS feeds which can be used, but again I believe a person has to sign up to receive these.  Websites are also good for businesses, but you must figure out how to get customers and potential customers to visit your website. 

There are the traditional methods businesses can be use to advertise:  newspapers, magazines, television, radio, direct mail advertising or hang tags.  There is also product placement in television and movies that can be used as a way to get your company's name out to the public.

Facebook is also good for personal use.  It is how I keep in contact with far-flung family members and friends.  You can post to your page or a friend's page at any time of the day or night and if they are in another time zone, you aren't waking them up or interrupting them (as you would with a phone call).  Emails are the same - a good, fast way to communicate with family, friends and businesses without having to worry about time zones.  Youtube has been good to research how to do things if you don't know how, or need additional ideas on how to complete something, such as plumbing problems, tutoring for various classes, makeup techniques and how-tos.  You can follow people on Twitter and they can follow you but you are limited to the size of your message (140 characters I believe).  I receive RSS feeds from various news agencies and from Comic Con.

Instagram is used by many people to personally post photos, and it is possible that businesses might be able to use it to advertise new products.  Again, though, you must build a following. 

Thus, if you plan to use social media for your business, then you need to come up with a plan to get the internet traffic and thus a following, to make your business a success. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    You may want to adjust the font color on the first paragraph of this post. I completely missed it the first time around. It wasn't until I realized there was an awkward blank space at the top of the post that I saw that there was text there.

    As far as the content, you are spot on. I think the challenge with using social media for business is building a following. Keeping them engaged and interested once they have "liked" or "followed" is important as well, but you have to get creative to establish the following to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I did not realize the first paragraph was blank (white font on white). I'm not sure how that happened, but I will figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cindy,
    Yes, I agree that building a business traditionally or electronically through social media requires increasing a following for your service or product. I look your information.

    ReplyDelete